Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Anvil oven

A few months ago, I decided I wanted a new oven. I had a small convection-Microwave type, but was limited to a small round pan, it works good, just not big enough. Then I also have a small counter type by La Germaina bought locally, it may do the job, after a fashion. 170 C only takes about 30 mins to heat, but 210 might take all day if then, so you see what I was referring too when I say "may do".
I searched and searched google.ph for ovens, convection, bakery equip., and who knows what else. Finally found a nice convection oven made in Taiwan, the only problem was the price.... and no stock. Php 300,000, about $6,800+, oops, beyond my range. I think I could buy a small bakery for that much. So I ran across a web page http://www.angelfire.com/planet/tomsbread/equipment.htm and it had a picture that I was able to search out the Manufacturer UNOx (Italy), traced that to the US and came up with CADCO Ovens. Well Cadco is a distributor selling to dealers only, but they had a consumer div. under the name of Broil King sold at Amazon.com, but only the small size oven ( interior size 9X13X9), powered by 110V. Well here 110V kinda sucks, as I would need a transformer to convert 220V down to 110V. Making a long story short, I ran across over Anvil Brand Ovens, made in S. Africa, but sold world wide. Made my choice of size and 220V and had it shipped. Don't know what customs is going to hit me for, but at this point, almost don't care. Did I say that?

The ship should arrive Manila this week, Can’t wait to try it out, several big points I’m interested in, preheat time, say 450F, Hot for bread, cold for pizza, but I can watch as it preheats and get the time to reach 350F for most yeast breads. But I best not count my chickens before the eggs hatch, too many if”s. Next week? Or maybe the week after.

As soon as I can turn it on, look out, me and messes while cooking can not be overlooked. Don’t need any oil to bake do I?

A few of the things I learned while searching for an oven.

The prices range from about 50% off to almost full list price. I really don’t think any of the dealers stock the ovens themselves. You place an order, and then they place an order, at a big mark up.

Shipping ranges from $89.00 to $230.00 for the exact same oven. (These dealers remind me of used car dealers, watch your rear)

Got a question about that oven? Good luck. I did not get 90% of my questions answered by any dealer. As a matter of fact most dealers did not reply to e-mail question at all.

Even the spec. sheet gives you almost no answers. If you are lucky you will get max. Power consumption, exterior size, shipping size, and the size of the pan that you can use.


It would be nice if they included some numbers like to maintain a set temperature, power usage is XX Kw, Interior size, and parts that need to be replaced often. But then I'm a day dreamer.

No comments: